Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I broke little man's pet!

In my world - there are no "ordinary" days. Each is it's own adventure. Today for expample...began with disaster with a capital "D". This story really starts yesterday - I thought that maybe Little E was ready for his own pet...the ideal candidate turned out to be a sweet (yes I said sweet) little mouse. She was (notice past tense) tawny and white with dark gentle eyes. Not your run of the mill pink eyed albino mouse. Nope this one was real special and E knew it. She was his from moment one. So the purchase was made - we rounded up all the necessary supplies to keep her safe from our 2 cats and headed home. E immediately took her out of the cage on his own - which in itself is amazing because he never picks up anything that might be consider icky. It was love for sure. Her name? Bella. Perfect!

First thing this a.m. he was up to introduce Dad to the newest member of the family. Little hands proudly scooped her up for Dad to see. Quick little thing - she slipped from his (E's) hands - in a moment of panic and fearing for her life (cats watching intently from NOT very far away) - I swooped in to save the day. Problem is - I swooped with a little too much enthusiasm and ... I broke her. Yes - broke her.

I'm pretty sure that at this point I have gone from Super Mom to Worst Mom Ever. I wasn't really ready for the "where do dead things go" or "why can't she just wake up" or "I just want you to make her come back" talks. Sigh...this wasn't going to be a good day.

We put her in a box with some nice smelling bedding and a small doll bouquet to remind her of E wherever her little spirit was off too. For most of the morning E sang to her - we said goodbye hundreds of times.

In an effort to redeem my "Super Mom" status - I convince Little E to leave Bella and head to the pet store for a replacement. "It'll look just the same - right?" - harder than you think. Albino with pink eyes - no problem. An abundance. Just like Bella - not happening.

We settled on a baby (yes - all white with pink eyes - but very cute and curious) and decided on the name Ruby Bella (actually MaxandRubyBellaRainbow). I should have realized there was a problem when E would not (refused) to carry the animal box provided by the pet store - out of the mall. He didn't want to look at her. Hmmm..."Red eyes are gross". Uh oh...

Okay - deep breaths - BIG DEEP BREATHS.

Home - won't look at her - won't touch her - wants nothing to do with MaxandRubyBellaRainbow...I'm in trouble.

Big sis gets home and is thrilled with her - thinks she is a suitable replacement for our loss. Little E says she can have her then. Okay..."Should I return her to the store then?" "I don't care - yes...". Just great.

I've decided maybe he needs some time - maybe he's afraid Mommy will break this one too and he doesn't want to get attached. E shuts down when we try and talk to him about it...so, he's asleep now...

Maybe tomorrow will be better...please!

No comments: